Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Post Thanksgiving Funk


Last week I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to visit my training host family and Malang and to enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner at Consulate General Kristen Bower's home. The weekend was lovely. I was thankful for my Malang host family (and their love for my single serving apple pies) and all the PCV friends that I got to feast with. All in all not a bad Thanksgiving weekend.
 
As the weekend drew to a close, however, I found myself reluctant to return to site. I was sorely temped to stay another night, but the cost associated with such a decision did bring me to my senses. So with a pessimistic attitude I boarded the bus Sunday afternoon. Since arriving back home I have found myself in a lethargic state. I am calling it my Post Thanksgiving Funk.
 
Throughout my service so far, I have found myself happy almost all of the time. Sure there was initial adjustment to site and the homesickness than followed, but at no time have I actually found myself reluctant to do much of anything fore more than a day or two at a time. I think that this prolonged funk can be attributed to the holiday season and the real lack of festivity surrounding me. Sure I have been watching Christmas movies and listening to Christmas music, but it feels out of place. My subconscious still thinks it is June and it isn't even ready for Christmas in  July.
 
This mood has effected my motivation do things. This week I have found myself lesson planning while half sleeping in the mornings and reluctant to do anything social after school. Fortunately my lesson plans have worked out pretty well, but this is only because we are in our final weeks of classes and we have begun reviewing for the final. I am therefore not teaching much of anything at the moment. I have also been able to get myself out for volleyball, which is good. At least I am not held up in my bedroom for those two hours.
 
Because of a mixture of moodiness and my journey to Malang and Surabaya, my 30 day challenge has only had a good start. I got myself out of the house on only one occasion so far. I will need to remedy this in the remaining 2.5 weeks. Hopefully I will be able to shake the funk and really be in the moment here before Christmas.
 
The good news is that I have not handled this bout of homesickness the way I had previously. Before I 
would take any sign of sickness and secretly hope that it would enough to get me medivaced (sent back to DC) for just a couple of weeks. PC policy is that if you return to full health within 40 days of being in DC then you are allowed to return to site. It is pretty ridiculous that that was a regular day dream for about two or three months, but you do what you can to survive.
 
Now I just see myself muddling through the funk here, where my home is now and will be fore the next year and a half. I have no desire to leave, I just want to have a Christmas that feels like Christmas. There is no need to worry though. In just 2.5 weeks I will be off to the Philippines and although it is still hot there, it is filled with family. I can't think of anything better to throw off the funk, although I do hope that I can shake it before I get there. I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season. Have a peppermint mocha for me from Starbucks (they cost as much as a Pizza Hut pizza here!). I will continue to watch Christmas movies, listen to music, and maybe I will find my way out of the fog in another day or two.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you shake off the funk and have a happy Christmas season! How long will you be in the Philippines? I can't wait to hear about your trip.

    ReplyDelete