Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fee Fi Fo Fum


As I mentioned in a post about volleyball a couple of months ago, my physical build is considerably bigger than the average Indonesian's. Although this applies to weight, it is by no means the only physical attribute which exceeds traditional Indonesian proportions. 

At 5'5" I am taller than probably 90% of Indonesian women and even a large percent of Indonesian men. When I talk to people about volleyball here, they assume that I am a hitter on any team in the US. I had to show them pictures of my teammates for them to believe that I am actually considered short back home, especially by athletic standards.

The size difference that amuses me  the most though is between our feet. Before coming to Indonesia I carefully planned what shoes I would bring. My previous experiences when attempting to shoe shop in the Philippines and China had taught me that my feet are truly American "super-sized." I assumed that Indonesia would be no different. Well I was not mistaken. 

I live in a traditional Indonesian house, which means out front you can find a plethora of sandals. Usually there is a pair for every person in the house, but every now and then we borrow whichever pair of shoes is most convenient. Today my sister, Lutvi, slipped on my sandals as she ran out of the house. I couldn't help but be amused, so I ran in the opposite direction for my camera. 

As you can see her feet kind of swim in them.


Of course this isn't shocking, she is a tiny Indonesian woman after all. What is infinitely more amusing is that when my brother Riza (her husband) put them on, he also swam in them.


This is a guy who is taller than me and considered an average size Indonesian man, yet his feet are tiny compared to mine.

When I tried his sandals on it was no Cinderella story. Instead I was one of the Ugly Step-Sisters.





I suppose that I am an even UGLIER step-sister when I try to fit my sister Ira's flip flop. When I saw these shoes at the market I assumed that they were for children, but apparently I was wrong. 

So although I may not be a really be a giant compared to Indonesians I think that it is safe to say that my feet are.

My brother Riza and sister in-law Lutvi on their wedding day.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What shoe size do you wear? I wear a 10... I might be even more of a foot giant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are equal foot giants! There are times though that I wear an 11 though. Although I know that I have big feet in the US, it always seemed like there were enough of us. Here I am a total anomaly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey allison ! I'm 5ft10 and i seriously think that your feet are bigger than mine ! Best regards from switzerland and let's keep in touch on facebook: ralf ob is my account

      Delete